No other aspect of our business is as important as the safety and well being of our employees. To that end, SKMES annually spends thousands of dollars on the education and training of our employees on the latest TOSHA regulations, best safety practices and the implementation and use of safety equipment and devices. Field employee bonuses and compensation, as well as periodic “safety awards” are directly tied to the safety record of individual projects and the company as a whole.
To ensure the safety of each and every employee, SKMES takes several steps toward accident prevention:
- SKMES employs an in-house safety director
- Employees attend weekly safety meetings and various safety seminars and events, conducted by TOSHA and other experts
- Supervisors receive additional training at safety academies several times a year
- Jobsites are always drug-free by virtue of pre-employment drug screening
ShoffnerKalthoff’s focus on safety is obvious:
- Our company was a key participant in the new Knoxville Convention Center’s “1 Million Hours without a Lost Time Accident” award
- SKMES has been recognized in national trade publications for its safety policies
- Our company has won numerous safety awards
- We have over 900,000 hours working without a lost time accident
- SKMES has a 2015 incident rate of 2.5 with the national average of 5.4 in mechanical trade
- The annual SKMES experience modification rating (emr) is .62
Our Safety Record
Safety has always been and will continue to be the most important aspect of our company. SKMES has an excellent safety record with no significant finding from TOSHA or any other regulatory agency.
Our safety program has a direct effect on your company’s mod rate. The mod rate directly affects the cost of workers’ compensation insurance. The average experience modification rate (emr) is 1.00 and simply means that a company has average workers’ compensation losses for their industry and will pay 100% of the annual premium that is set by their state. A company with a higher emr will pay a higher percentage of their annual premium; meaning that company has experienced higher than average claims. A company with a lower emr pays less than 100% and has had lower than average claims.
SKMES has an experience modification rate of .62. Which means we have…
- Over 900,000 hours working without a lost time accident.
- One year without a lost time accident in 2010-2011.
We have received several awards for safety including:
- 2012/2013/2015 AGC Construction Safety Excellence Award
- 2012 Tennessee Governor’s Excellence in Safety Award
- 2007/2008 ABC Gold Achievement Award
- 2006 AGC Comp Trust zero loss ratio Award
Our company also participated in the Knoxville Convention Center’s “1 Million Hours Without a Lost Time Accident.”