No other aspect of our business is as important as the safety and well being of our employees. To that end, SKMES annually spends thousands of dollars on the education and training of our employees on the latest TOSHA regulations, best safety practices and the implementation and use of safety equipment and devices. Field employee bonuses and compensation, as well as periodic "safety awards" are directly tied to the safety record of individual projects and the company as a whole.
To ensure the safety of each and every employee, SKMES takes several steps toward accident prevention:
- SKMES employs an in-house safety director.
- Employees attend weekly safety meetings and various safety seminars and events, conducted by TOSHA and other experts.
- Supervisors receive additional training at safety academies several times a year.
- Jobsites are always drug-free by virtue of pre-employment drug screening.
Shoffner’s focus on safety is obvious:
- Our company was a key participant in the new Knoxville Convention Center’s "1 Million Hours without a Lost Time Accident" award.
- SKMES has been recognized in national trade publications for its safety policies.
- Our company has won numerous safety awards.
- We have over 900,000 hours working without a lost time accident.
- SKMES has a 2011 incident rate of 1.7 with the national average of 5.4 in mechanical trade.
- The annual SKMES experience modification rating (emr) is .65.